Notice of Animas® privacy practices
About this notice
Animas Corporation and affiliates (Animas® Diabetes Care, LLC) is a healthcare provider subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended ("HIPAA"). HIPAA places additional obligations on healthcare providers to ensure that the confidentiality of patient medical information is maintained.
This notice describes the obligations that animas has to keep your medical information confidential, the circumstances of when we may use or disclose such information, and how you can get access to your information. Please review this notice carefully.
How Animas® will use your information
Animas® may use, share with or disclose to your physician(s) / medical providers the personal health information it creates, receives or maintains about you ("protected health information"). This may include information about your diagnosis, prescriptions and other treatment information necessary (a) to provide you with quality healthcare treatment or to receive reimbursement from your health insurance or medical benefits plans, and (b) for Animas® to operate its business or in connection with treatment by a healthcare provider covered by HIPAA. In addition, Animas® may use or disclose your information in other special circumstances described in this Notice. Animas will not use or disclose your protected health information for any other purpose without your prior written authorization.
Your individual rights
You have the right to access certain portions of your protected health information, inspect and copy this information, amend the information, request restrictions on the use and disclosure of the information, request that communications be made to you through alternate means or at an alternative location, and obtain an accounting of the information that Animas® has disclosed for reasons other than treatment, payment, healthcare operations or in certain other circumstances. There are certain limitations on these rights that are explained more fully in this Notice.
Questions and complaints
You may contact the following person for more information about our privacy practices, to exercise your rights or to complain about how Animas® is handling your protected health information:
Privacy Compliance Manager
965 Chesterbrook Blvd.
Wayne, PA 19087
The attached Notice describes our privacy practices in more detail.
Animas® Corporation is a healthcare provider subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended ("HIPAA"). THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED BY US AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
We are required by law to:
- maintain the privacy of your protected health information;
- provide you with this Notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your protected health information; and
- abide by the terms of this Notice.
Uses and disclosures for treatment, payment or healthcare operations
Under HIPAA, we may use, receive or disclose your protected health information for treatment, payment or healthcare operations without obtaining a written authorization from you. These activities cover a broad range of activities, including:
- Treatment. We may disclose protected health information to your providers for treatment, including the provision of care (diagnosis, cure, etc.) or the coordination or management of that care.
- Payment. We may use and disclose your protected health information to receive payment for our products and services. Payment activities may include sending claims or bills to your health insurance carrier, HMO or medical plan, reviewing the medical necessity of the services rendered with your physician, and coordinating the payment of benefits between medical plans.
- Healthcare Operations. We may use and disclose your protected health information for plan operational purposes. For example, we may use or disclose your protected health information for activities such as verification with your health insurance carrier that you are eligible for benefits under the plan, quality control activities of our organization and service and training.
We may contract with other businesses for certain services. Those businesses may require access to your personal health information in order to perform a payment, treatment or healthcare operation for us. We will not permit those businesses to gain access to your personal information unless they enter into a written agreement that they will follow these privacy practices and take reasonable measures to protect the privacy of your health information.
Unless you authorize us otherwise, your protected health information will be available only to the individuals who need the information to conduct treatment, payment or healthcare operations activities.
Other uses and disclosures
Animas® is also permitted to use or disclose your protected health information, without obtaining a written authorization from you, in the following circumstances:
- For certain required public health activities (such as reporting disease outbreaks);
- To prevent serious harm to you or other potential victims, where abuse, neglect or domestic violence is involved;
- To a health oversight agency for oversight activities authorized by law;
- In the course of any judicial or administrative proceeding in response to a court or administrative tribunal's order, subpoena, discovery request or other lawful process;
- For a law enforcement purpose to a law enforcement official if certain legal conditions are met (such as providing limited information to locate a missing person);
- To a coroner, medical examiner or funeral director for purposes of carrying out his or her duties;
- For certain organ, eye or tissue donations;
- For research studies (such as research related to the prevention of disease or disability) that meet various privacy requirements;
- To avert a serious threat to the health or safety of you or any other person;
- For specified government functions, such as intelligence activities and your care if you are imprisoned;
- To the extent necessary to comply with laws and regulations related to workers' compensation or similar programs; and
- When otherwise required by law.
These uses and disclosures may be subject to special rules under HIPAA or other laws. More specific information is available from the Privacy Contact (identified at the end of this Notice) upon request.
Specific uses and disclosures
We may use and disclose your protected health information to provide information to you about disease management programs, treatment alternatives or other health-related benefits and services that may be of interest to you.
Limitations on use and disclosure
If a use or disclosure of your protected health information identified in this Notice is subject to a law more stringent than HIPAA, the more stringent law will apply. If you have a question about your rights under any particular federal or state law, please contact the person identified below.
Authorizations required for all other uses and disclosures
Any other use or disclosure of your protected health information not identified within this Notice will be made only with your written authorization. You have the right to limit the type of information and the persons to whom it should be disclosed. You may revoke your written authorization at any time, and the revocation will be followed to the extent action on the authorization has not yet been taken. An authorization form is available from:
965 Chesterbrook Blvd.
Wayne, PA 19087
You have the right to:
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your protected health information. We are not required to agree to a requested restriction. To request a restriction, please write to the Privacy Contact (identified at the end of this Notice) and provide specific information as to the disclosures that you wish to restrict and the reasons for your request. We will respond in writing.
- Request that our confidential communications of your protected health information be sent to alternative locations or by alternative communicative means. For example, you may ask that we send all medical products to your office rather than your home address. We are not required to accommodate your request unless the request is reasonable.
- Make a written request to inspect and obtain a copy of the protected health information that may be used by Animas to make decisions about your care or treatment. Access to psychotherapy notes, information compiled in reasonable anticipation of, or for use in legal proceedings and under certain other, relatively unusual, circumstances may be denied. A reasonable, cost-based fee may be imposed for copying and mailing the requested information.
- Request that Animas® amend your protected health information or record if you believe the information is incorrect or incomplete. (We have the right to deny or limit your request and you will have the right to contest any such decision as explained further below.)
- Receive an accounting of unauthorized disclosures made of your protected health information for purposes other than treatment, payment or healthcare operations in the six years prior to the date of the request; provided that no accounting will be made for disclosures made prior to April 14, 2003.
- Request and obtain a paper copy of this Notice at any time, even if you have agreed to receive it electronically.
To exercise any of these rights, please write to the Privacy Contact listed at the end of this Notice. There are circumstances where Animas® is allowed to deny or limit your request. In such event you may have the right to object and obtain a review of our decision. We will provide you with further information about those rights at that time. If you would like more specific information about these matters, contact the Privacy Contact.
Changes to this notice
Animas® reserves the right to change the terms of this Notice and its privacy practices and to make the new provisions effective for all protected health information it maintains. Any amended Notice will be made available to you in the same way that this Notice is available to you.
Complaints and privacy contact
You may file a complaint with our Privacy Contact and with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services if you believe your privacy rights have been violated. Their addresses are available under Privacy Contact Information, below. All complaints must be filed in writing. You will not be retaliated against for filing a complaint.
Privacy contact information
If you have any questions about this Notice, please contact the Privacy Contact:
965 Chesterbrook Blvd.
Wayne, PA 19087
To contact the Secretary of Health and Human Services, write to:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20201
Toll free: 1-877-696-6775